This low prep, standards-based, complete unit plan is designed to take your students through Their Eyes Were Watching God in a way that the novel comes alive. Their Eyes Were Watching God is a beautifully written novel that gently yet powerfully portrays the story of women, race, love, and life. Hurston’s masterwork, Their Eyes Were Watching God, however, is more than simply the story of a woman finding herself and extending her horizons: Janie's journey is a picture of her growth and self-discovery to which all modern teens can relate. With each chapter of Janie's story, students will close read, annotate, analyze, get creative, and most of LOVE the experience!
Teacher and Student Experience: This literature guide has been carefully crafted to reach all learners in a way that conveys and honors Hurston's beautiful handiwork. As students study and dig into the text with the carefully-crafted questions on the chapter reading guides, you will be confident that key standards are being addressed. From the modern connections provided such as hosting a Bachelorette-style game show to review characterization to the nonfiction text readings that bring in the historical side of the novel, students will recognize the importance of this classic text as critical in their world. Everything in the unit has a specific purpose: teaching the essential questions of the unit and ensuring students see and appreciate the novel as a whole. Various other interactive, hands-on, and creative activities will provide you with many ways to engage your students in this five/six-week unit plan. All the basics are here, too: standards, daily pacing guide, reading quizzes, grammar worksheets, short prompts, vocabulary, final exam, and final projects. The materials are creative and fun for students so they will grow to love the novel, yet easy-to-prep and purposeful to make your job easier. Whether you use all the resources or just a few, you will have amazing success teaching Their Eyes Were Watching God with the materials included in this unit.
- unit overview with contents and essential questions and daily pacing guide with daily opener ideas (45 days)
- reading comprehension graphic organizers, 100% editable and digital format, answers included
- vocabulary list for the novel, 100% editable
- two grammar exercises, 100% editable, answers included
- reading quizzes (short answer), 100% editable, answers included
- journal/discussion prompts, 100% editable and digital format
- two short research and presentation media projects (Women's Accomplishments and Historical Hurricanes)
- pre-reading anticipation activity and introductory ppt (will address use of language/dialect and the n-word)
- interactive review activities (plot puzzle, character puppets, Tweet for Me)
- classroom posters
- characterization worksheets, 100% editable and digital format
- figurative language worksheets with extension exercises to explore the biblical allusions, answers included
- write your own folk lore poem
- planning Janie's dream wedding activity
- chapter tree motif tracking with answers included, digital format included
- SWBST chapter summary sketch notes with answers included, digital format included
- parent permission letter
- close reading "love lessons" for each of Janie's relationships
- final exam with answers, 100% editable
- menu project board, 100% editable
Additional Chapter Resources Include:
- Chapter 1, Paired Info Text, Gossip Girls
- Chapter 5, Paired Info Text, History of Eatonville and activity
- Chapter 6, Paired Info Text, Relationship Violence
- Chapter 7-9, Paired Poetry, "Woman's World"
- Chapter 8 & 11, Paired Poetry, "Mirror"
- Chapter 14-15, Paired Info Text, Muck Bowl
- Chapter 18-19, Paired Info Text, Hurricane of 1928 and title analysis
- Chapter 20, Close Reading on Death and eulogy activity
*Google access and Youtube access will be required for some of the activities and/or videos.
See how I organize my units in these two quick and free video tutorials:
Classroom success stories from teachers who have tried this resource:
♥ "Where do I even begin? This unit is so awesome. There’s so much included. Ms. Faulkner does a great job helping us organize it. I’m so excited to incorporate these into my lessons. Thank you!"
♥ "Oh my goodness, thank you so much for creating a fun, meaningful unit for Their Eyes Were Watching God! This bundle packs in SO much to choose from. My students will be analyzing the text through Gary Chapman's Love Languages, so the Love Lesson Close Reads were PERFECT!"
♥ "nice graphic organizers - my students enjoyed working with these"
♥ "This resource has SO MUCH! For the price it is incredible! Thank you for your hard work on this great resource."
Interested in more of my literature units?
- American Literature Full Curriculum
- Soldier's Home
- The Pedestrian
- I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
- Rose for Emily
- To Build a Fire
- Lord of the Flies
- Fahrenheit 451
- The Great Gatsby
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches. Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to FOLLOW ME. Presto! You will now receive email updates about my store.
Please, one classroom use only. Additional licenses are sold at checkout. This license is nontransferable. Not eligible for online environments unless password protected. Posting openly online is prohibited. No part of this resource can be used for commercial purposes, altered, or resold. This work is my original work, and taking portions of it to create something else for resale is prohibited.